Detect to protect: Avoid carbon monoxide poisoning

TimeChangeCODetectors_456px

With the onset of colder weather across Idaho, we’re going to be using heating systems, hot water heaters, car heaters, portable outdoor heaters and other gas, oil or wood-burning appliances that emit potentially deadly carbon monoxide fumes. Because carbon monoxide can build up in enclosed and even partially enclosed places, it’s a good time to talk about carbon monoxide poisoning and steps you can take to avoid it. Continue reading

Advertisements

Be aware: Carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent killer

Temperatures outside are falling, prompting us to close up our houses and turn on our furnaces. Carbon monoxide can build up in enclosed and even partially enclosed places, and you might not know it. It’s an odorless, colorless gas that can kill before you’re even aware it’s in your home.                                                   

Dangerous levels of the gas can be produced by fuel-burning appliances such as hot water heaters, furnaces, stoves, ovens and clothes driers. Fireplaces and woodstoves, charcoal grills, lawnmowers, snow blowers and other yard equipment, as well as cars and trucks also produce it. (One quick note about gas stoves: If you do a lot of cooking and you have an unvented gas range, the carbon monoxide levels in the kitchen can rise quickly. You should open a window to help reduce the levels of the gas.)  Continue reading