Your child broke a glow stick? Call the Idaho Poison Center

Most parents recognize the fact that fireworks and small children just don’t mix.  Glow sticks and glow jewelry are a safer alternative to bottle rockets and sparklers that can cause serious burns.  But these brightly colored glow products are soft and pliable and easily broken open, especially by children.

A child with a glowing mouth can cause some anxious moments for parents, but it’s typically not worth a trip to the emergency room. Even so, parents should call the Idaho Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222 to be sure. Continue reading

Advertisements

Safety first for the Fourth!

The Fourth of July is just around the corner, so it’sFireworks high time to refresh our knowledge of the precautions we should take if we’re lighting off fireworks. We’d really like for all Idahoans to make it through the weekend without causing any fires, injuries, or burning your neighborhood down.

Aren’t many fireworks illegal?

Yes, they are… Before you buy any fireworks, you should check with your city for a list of those that are legal. Generally, any firework that leaves the ground or explodes is probably going to be illegal because they are dangerous. If you’re lighting fireworks, point them away from homes, and keep them away from brush, leaves and flammable substances.  Continue reading