The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare began monitoring radon test results over 20 years ago. Since then, IDHW has discovered nearly 40 percent of Idaho homes tested for radon have higher than recommended levels of the naturally occurring radioactive gas. High radon levels have been found in homes in every Idaho county. Continue reading
Radon is an odorless, tasteless gas that has been found at dangerous levels in many homes in Idaho. The dangerous gas is the leading cause of lung cancer for nonsmokers, and it causes more than 21,000 deaths a year in the United States. It’s a serious health issue in Idaho. The good news is that it is a preventable health risk – testing your home can help prevent or reduce exposure. Continue reading
Radon is an odorless, tasteless gas that has been found in 40 percent of the homes in Idaho that have been tested. It’s the leading cause of lung cancer for nonsmokers, and the only way to know it’s in your home is to test for it. The dangerous gas causes more than 21,000 deaths a year in the United States, and it’s a very serious health issue in Idaho
How does radon get into homes?
Radon is a naturally occurring gas that comes from the breakdown of uranium. It seeps from soil into homes and buildings through crawl spaces, and cracks and openings in foundations. It tends to build up the most in winter, when people have their homes closed up tight against the cold. That’s why now it’s a good time to test for it in the lowest level of your home where you spend time. Continue reading
Nearly 40 percent of Idaho homes that have been tested for radon showed unsafe levels. Radon is a problem in Idaho and high levels have been found in every county. Long term exposure to high levels of radon can increase your risk of developing lung cancer. The good news is radon problems can be fixed with mitigation.
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. Radon rises up from the soil and invades homes and buildings through crawlspaces, foundation cracks and openings. When radon gets trapped indoors it can reach harmful levels. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer, with the Environmental Protection Agency estimating that radon causes 21,000 deaths in the United States each year. Continue reading
You may not know that lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in Idaho. Other kinds of cancers certainly get a lot more attention, but we should all be aware of the risks. Smoking causes about 85 percent of lung cancer deaths in Idaho, but that leaves 15 percent that are not caused by smoking. And since November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month, it’s important to understand what we can do to reduce our risk for developing this terrible disease.
Are there symptoms of lung cancer?
Symptoms can vary a lot for everyone, so they’re not very reliable. Some people don’t have symptoms at all, but others may have shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing that doesn’t go away and that might include blood, chest pain, fever, and weight loss.
Who is most at risk?
Everyone has the potential to develop lung cancer, but some people have a higher risk than others because of lifestyle choices (like choosing to smoke), environmental exposures (like radon), and family history. Current smokers or those who have smoked in the past are 10 to 20 times more likely to develop lung cancer than nonsmokers. Secondhand smoke also causes lung cancer – nationally about 38,000 nonsmokers die each year from secondhand smoke exposure. Continue reading
Nearly 40 percent of Idaho homes tested for radon showed unsafe levels, which can cause serious illness for people. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking. It is a naturally occurring gas that you can’t see, smell or taste.
“Radon is definitely a big problem because it’s so prevalent,” said Jim Faust, Radon Program manager at the Department of Health and Welfare. “The good news is that it is a fixable problem. Every home in Idaho should be tested so we can protect ourselves and our families.” Continue reading